Veggie Thin Crackers Makes about 36
What you’ll need…
1 tbsp (15 mL) chia seeds
2 ½ tbsp (37.5 mL) warm water
1 cup (250 mL) almond flour
2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame seeds
2 tsp (10 mL) dried minced/flaked onion
1 tsp (10 mL) vegetable bouillon powder
¼ tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
2 sheets parchment paper
What to do…
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C); move rack to middle position. Cut two pieces of parchment paper to fit a large sheet pan; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine chia and warm water; rest 2-3 minutes or until thick. Stir again briefly.
3. Add dry ingredients to chia mixture. Mix using a spatula or spoon until roughly combined. Finish mixing with clean, dry, hands until a dough forms. If it seems sticky, let the dough rest for a few minutes, the chia will keep absorbing moisture! *see notes below for stand mixer instructions…
4. Place a piece of parchment onto work surface. Form dough into a rough rectangle centred on the parchment. Top with the second sheet of parchment paper and press lightly.
5. Roll dough into large rectangle about 2-3mm (1/8”) thick. Rotate several times while rolling. Aim for an even thickness, but don’t worry about the edges being rough. Remove top piece of parchment; gently pulling it back on itself. *see notes below if the parchment is sticking!!!
6. Carefully poke entire surface of the dough with a fork. Don’t be too rough! Cut into pieces using a large sharp knife or pizza cutter. If the dough starts to stick to the blade, wipe it clean between cuts.
7. Leave the cut dough in place and slide the parchment onto a cookie sheet. Bake crackers 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set tray on wire rack; they will crisp slightly as they cool. 8. Break apart when completely cooled. Store in an airtight container
• Steps 2 and 3 can be done in a stand mixer: Combine chia seeds and water using the paddle attachment; let rest several minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix on medium-low until a dough forms.
• If it’s sticking, leave the top parchment in place and proceed. Remove during the last 5 minutes of baking and just break into pieces when cooled… Not ideal, but it works if things stick…
• For regular crackers: omit dried onion, replace vegetable bouillon powder with ¾ tsp sea salt.
• Don’t like sesame seeds? Replace with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of any similar sized seeds! Hemp hearts, poppy seeds, quinoa, flax seeds or millet are all great options.